Sunday, June 10, 2007

Maybe I shouldn't have done it...

Well, three days ago I got a tattoo. Leading up to this, I thought long & hard about if I should do it. My friend, Laurie, went with with me, & she got her tattoo updated some too. On June 5, I turned 39, & well, I thought I was ready. I wasn't expecting the reactions that I have gotten from my family. First, my husband hung up on me (I told him over the phone). He knew I was seriously considering it, but for him, it was a money thing. We didn't have the money right now...of course, we never do. Then, yesterday, I told (& showed) my daughter. She was sorta OK with it at first, and then it hit her & she started bawling...ran outside, wouldn't have anything to do with me. She thinks that a tattoo changes a person. Since then, we've have some pretty serious discussions on it, especially for a 6 year old. First, it scares her...it is kinda dark & it does have faces. I so understand that. Maddie says that tattoos change a person, & she doesn't want me to change. I understand what she is saying on that too, but that will be a big lesson to learn that what is on the outside of a person does not change what is on the inside of a person. But most of all, I feel like I have hurt my family, and that in itself, is harder to bear than the excruiating hurt of actually getting a tattoo. The sobbing & tears of my daughter went straight to my heart, and although I think we've moved on now, I am sick with sadness. I don't ever want to hurt her or my husband as much as I think I have with this ever again.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Oh Julia! I'm so sorry your family had these reactions, you're right, that is a big lesson for Madison to learn, but she will. Hope things have smoothed out now! Hugs!!